Alexa users normally wake their device by saying “Hey Alexa, or Hello Alexa, or simply Alexa”. It can be boring for your daily routine. So, many users think of changing Alexa’s name and the word to wake it. For this, you need to manage the Alexa voice assistant. There are many ways to do this change. Here we will discuss ‘What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word?’ There are different words that you can choose to wake the Alexa and name it accordingly. Also read:- How to Set Up my Echo Show 10(3rd Gen)?
Can I change Alexa’s name to anything I want?
Alexa speaker does not allow you to change the name over it. But, you can make changes to the wake word by choosing it from the list of wake words already available on the Alexa settings. There is a quick procedure you need to follow for it. It can be “Amazon”, “Echo”, “Computer”, and much more. You can directly command “Alexa, change the wake word”. It will then say OK and also tell you about the options that you can choose as your wake word. Repeat the word that you want to set and you are ready to go.
What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word?
The Alexa user can easily change the wake word by following a series of steps. Also, there are various methods to perform these settings. We will discuss them all as below:
Method 1: Change in Settings
- Firstly, open the Alexa application and then navigate to the “Devices” option.
- Click on it and then choose “Echo and Alexa”.
- After that, click on the device name for which you want to change the settings.
- Now, head over to the top right corner of the screen and click on “Wake Word”.
- Select the new word from the list containing the words “Amazon”, “Computer”, “Echo”, Ziggy”.
- Finally, wait for a few minutes to update the changes.
- Try to speak the new word that you set to wake Alexa and check for success. It is the most preferable process for “What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word?”
So, this is all that you need to do to change the name and wake word. It is quite a quick and simple process that does not require any professional knowledge. If you face any difficulty changing the wake word using this method, then you can use another one as below.
Method 2: Use Voice Command
- Firstly, you need to send the voice command as “Alexa, change your wake word”.
- Then, Alexa will reply “OK, you can choose from Amazon, Computer, Echo, or Ziggy – Which of these do you like?”
- Repeat the wake word that you would like to choose as “Ziggy”. You can choose any wake word amongst all these four wake words
- Finally, Alexa will say “OK, you can call me ‘Ziggy’ on this device. So, it confirms your new wake word. You can now call Alexa using this wake word.
- It is a reliable process and you can also stick to it for changing the wake word and name. If you are looking out for “What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word?” then you can use this method.
Method 3: Use the Touch screen of the Echo Show
- Firstly, swipe your screen from the top side.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Then, scroll down and click on the ‘Device’ option.
- Select ‘Wake Word’.
- Finally, click on the option that you want to use on this device.
These are the quick and fast methods that you can use to change Alexa name and wake word. These allow you to make changes easily without any hassle. These alternative names are already stored in the memory of Alexa. So, any other random name is not valid to choose. You can only choose from these names.
Can I Change Alexa Wake Word to Anything?
Alexa wake word requires a simple and easy procedure to choose the new wake word from the list of available words. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Firstly, power ON the speaker by saying “Alexa”. It will wake Alexa.
- Then, you need to send the voice command as “Alexa, change my wake word”.
- You will then receive a message from the virtual assistant as “I can help you change the wake word for this device. Should we do that now?”
- Say Yes to changing.
- After that, select the most preferable name from the list.
- Speak your choice to Alexa to apply it as a wake word.
- Finally, get the confirmation as OK from Alexa.
Most of the users are stuck in the query, What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word? The best answer to it is that both methods are suitable and reliable. You can use the one that is convenient for you.
How Do I Give Alexa a Custom Name?
To set the custom name for Alexa or to change the Alexa name and wake word, you can simply send the voice command for it. You can go to settings and manage your wake word from there. However, you cannot set your wake word or name. You have to choose it from the built-in list of words such as Amazon, Alexa, Ziggy, Echo, etc. The Alexa will change your wake word according to your choice and next time you can call it from that particular name only. There is no limitation on the number of times you can change the wake word. You can change it whenever you get bored with the current wake word.
As per your concern for What is the best way to change Alexa’s name and wake word? you can prefer either of the two methods:
- Change the wake word by navigating to the Device list on the settings.
- Send the voice command directly to Alexa to change the Wake word.