HP printers are capable of printing with complete reliability and productivity, but you may encounter an issue when using them as sometimes the HP Printer Printhead appears to be missing. Therefore, you may not be able to print or perform other tasks. Therefore, to work efficiently with the printer, the user must troubleshoot it first and then move on to the solution. Also read:- HP printer error access denied: how to fix it
Why is my HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing?
A HP Printer Printhead Appearing to be Missing can be caused by a variety of factors. It is important to first identify the main factor that causes the problem so it can be fixed. So here are some factors that can cause the HP Printer issue:
- Cartridge Not Identified properly
- Loose or Incompatible cartridge
- Dirty Printheads
- Installation Issues
- Original Cartridge Not Used
- Outdated Software
So, firstly check for all these issues to exist in your machine. After that, follow the solution step by step. This helps you to resolve the problem and use the printer precisely for performing all the operations.
Fix HP Printer Printhead Appears to Be Missing
It is crucial that the HP Printer Printhead works in order to perform the entire printing, scanning, and copying operations. If the printhead fails, you will struggle to follow up with printing solutions. As such, you have to fix the issue before working with your HP printer. To resolve the HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing problem, perform the steps below in series and check for a solution after each step.
- Reset the Printer
Firstly, the user can perform the reset of the printer to fix the error. Resetting is a simple step but helps to get the solution to a lot of problems. The very first step that you can use for fixing the error is by resetting the printer. So, perform the steps below in series to reset the printer.
- Firstly, switch ON the HP printer.
- Wait for some time to make the printer ideal by not performing any task on it.
- After that, turn the printer on its backside and unplug the main power cable.
- Also, detach the other end of this cord from the main power socket.
- Now, wait for a few seconds and plug the power cable back into the socket and the printer.
- Finally, turn ON the HP printer and wait for some time for its response.
- Now, send the command to the printer and check for the solution to the problem ‘HP Printer Printhead Appearing to Be Missing’.
In case of successful results, follow up with the printer operations. Else, head over to the next step to fix the HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing problem.
- Unseat the Printhead
In case, the previous step does not help to solve the problem, then try to resolve it by unseating the printhead. So, perform the steps below to fix the missing printhead issue.
- Firstly, open the door of the cartridge securely.
- Then, wait for the cartridge to stop in case it is in progress.
- Now, turn to the back of the machine and unplug the main power cable.
- After that, lift the latch of the cartridge in an upward direction. After that, take out the printhead by pushing it slightly up.
- Now, place the printhead again in its original position by keeping it down securely. Also, move it in the right and left direction to fit properly in the slot. So, it places the cartridge properly in the correct place.
- Now, close the access door of the cartridge and also fit it properly.
- After that, plug in the main power cable and switch ON the printer.
- Check if the problem ‘HP Printer Printhead Appears to Be Missing’ persists or not.
- No error message on the screen indicates the successful solution of HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing. In case the problem still exists, and then head over to the next step.
- Cleaning the Ink Cartridges
The HP Printer Printhead Appears to be a Missing issue that may also arise in your device in case of a dirty, dusty, or bad situation of the cartridge. So, to make the printhead work properly, you need to clean it thoroughly with a lint-free cloth. Here are the steps you can follow for the cleaning process:
- Firstly, take the ink cartridge out of the printhead securely.
- Then, take the lint-free cloth and dip it in the distilled water. Rinse the cloth properly and clean the cartridge thoroughly.
- After that, leave the cartridge to get dry properly. As it dries, place it in its slot securely.
- Close the main door of the cartridge now.
- Finally, send the command to the printer to test the work. Check if the problem HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing persists or not. If not, then try to resolve it using the next step.
- Perform Pending Software Updates
The user may also face an HP Printer Printhead that Appears to be a Missing issue in case of any pending update with the driver. So, follow the steps below to proceed with the solution of HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing.
- Firstly, turn ON the PC and open the web browser. Make sure you are using the latest version of the browser
- Then, navigate to the official HP website.
- After that, go to the “Driver and Software Download Page”.
- Then, go to ‘Printers’ and type the model number of the HP printer you are using.
- Then, click the ‘Submit’ button.
- After that, the screen will show you the driver that is compatible with the printer. You can install the driver for the accurate functioning of the printer.
- Expand the ‘Printer’s Firmware’ section.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button.
- After successful download, click on the link to open the file and install it on your device. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Finally, check for the solution to the HP Printer Printhead Failed or Missing.
When my HP printer says the printhead is missing, what should I do?
It is advisable to reset the printer to find out if the printhead is missing, not detected, or inaccurately seated. If so, unseat the printhead, remove the ink cartridges, check the error message, then clean them, then update the firmware.
What causes HP printhead failure?
It is common for HP ink cartridges to clog as small amounts of ink or dust accumulate in the nozzle. Faint, streaky or spotty prints are all common signs of clogs, but you can usually fix them by cleaning them. Printheads clog when you don’t use the cartridges very often.
Is there a reason why the printhead appears to be missing?
In HP printers, a missing or failed printhead indicates that either the printhead is loose, or the cartridge was not properly identified. Use original cartridges and ensure they are installed correctly.
Does it make sense to replace the printhead?
In most cases, it is more economical to simply buy a new printer if the printhead on your home printer breaks.
What is the best way to get my printer heads to automatically clean?
You can access the printer software by clicking the Maintenance tab, then clicking Auto Nozzle Check and Cleaning. Follow the instructions on the screen.